Swim Team Finalized

Kassie Kometani, Editor

The Kohala High School swim team saw an increase in numbers for this 2013 winter season. The returning members include sophomores Jayven Amonance, Ford Clark, Damien Kaholo, Yuki Zbytovsky, and junior Kassie Kometani. But this year three new brave students decided to go out for the sport. Those members are sophomore Isaiah Villacorte-Caravalho and juniors William Perez and Erin Gonzales.

Head coach Jeffery Coakley is happy to see new faces at the pool. Swimming is a difficult sport to start up so he commends their determination. This year Coakley is assisted by his son Daniel Coakley. Daniel has much experience as a high school swimmer as well as swimming in college and internationally. Coakley knows he will add years of swimming knowledge to the team.

The swimmers had a huge setback early in the season when the Kamehameha Park pool’s pump room flooded. The pool was closed for two and half weeks but HPA generously allowed the high school team to use their pool for training. When the pool reopened the team commenced practice with rigor. They have begun incorporating dryland training which includes running and strength exercises. Gaining strength and technique is a goal of the two coaches and they are pushing the swimmers hard.

The first meet was held at Hilo High School on November 23rd but not all swimmers were able to attend. The next meet is coming up this Saturday at Hawaii Preparatory Academy and it will be the first meet for some of the swimmers. The Kohala swimmers have been training hard and are excited for the upcoming meet. Unfortunately the girls do not have enough swimmers to have a relay but the boys will be able to compete in the various relays.

The best of luck is wished to the Kohala High Swim Team. E Ala E Na Paniolo!