TMT Big Island VEX Robotics League Championships

Ella Matundan

Kohala High hosted the VEX Robotics competition in November.

Alexis Ella Matundan, Reporter

This year Kohala hosted the TMT Big Island VEX Robotics League Championships here at the high school gym. Folks from all over the island gathered in Kohala on November 30, 2013. People cheered from 10 am to 5pm in the afternoon. The weather was wonderful and the spirits were high! People were walking up to the cafeteria to check out the craft fair and some even went to the Farmer’s market that morning.

After 576 seeding matches over four dates and locations, the top 8 teams selected their alliances for the Finals that are played in elimination. Kohala Middle VEX teams, 4119A & 4119B, were 3rd and 4th respectively placing them in a position to select each other! Kohala High School teams, 2460 & 2460A , were ranked 13 and 14.

The Quarterfinals had Kohala’s 2460A with its alliance team 2455 Honokaa, upset Kealakehe 2nd ranked teams 3880 & 3880A in the first match. Unfortunately, Kealakehe came back to win the second and third match of that round. Kohala’s 2460A was done.

At the end of four months of league play and hundreds of matches, Kohala’s team did in fact qualify both to states and to U.S. Nationals. The Excellence award is the most prestigious award in VEX and Kohala Middle School 4119B earned the highest points overall. Consider it the MVP Robotics! Kohala High’s team, 2460A, qualifies to State Championships because of its Design Award.

Congratulations to Kohala High School VEX team members: Kaliko Dela Cruz, Zebadayo Bartholomy, Josh Page, and Coach Eric Dela Cruz. Congratulations to Kohala Middle School team members: Jada Hook, Jarom Hook, Evan Lawrence, Joseph Pasco, Morgan Swan, and Coach/Mentors Alvin Kawamoto and Cheryl Cabrera.

Kohala VEX robotics is a 21st Century Community Learning Center after school program that meets twice weekly. Kohala VEX Robotics is also an NKCRC project. The participants design, build, program and drive robots. For more informations on Kohala’s VEX robotics programs, contact Program Coordinator, Ms Fern White at 889-7117.