Kohala Cowboys soccer win by forfeit

Ricky Ching, Reporter

After coming off their 6-0 win against the Parker Bulls last Wednesday, Kohala was even more anxious and determined to go head-to-head against HAAS on Saturday, December 21 at Pahoa high school.  The game was supposed to kick off at 10:00, but due to a lack of communication between the schools coaches and athletic directors, HAAS forfeited the game because the coaches claim that they were unaware that the game was rescheduled.

Due to Winterball which was scheduled on the same day as the game, Kohala’s Athletic Director, Lauri Koustik, had asked if the game could be rescheduled to 10:00am instead of 2:00pm so that Kohala would be able to make it back in time to attend Winterball.  Koustik and HAAS athletic director had both agreed that the game was to be rescheduled.  But after the Cowboys had taken a early and exhausting journey to the other side of the island in Pahoa, they were sadly informed that their opponents had forfeited the game and they will take the win by default.

Although Kohala will take the win by default, both the boys and the coaches were disappointed to have traveled so far to find out that they had wasted time and half of their day.  The Cowboys felt that the win was not earned but given to them.  The boys are happy to have another win.  But although Kohala isn’t the greatest team in the BIIF, they have a lot of hustle, team work, dedication and heart to prove that they will not be taken lightly by other schools, and whether they are winning or losing, the boys will fight till the last whistle is blown.

The Cowboys and HAAS will have a rematch game later in the season, but the game will take place in Kohala at the high school.  The time and the date of the rematch is still unknown, but will be posted as soon we are informed.  Good luck to all the winter sports!

E Ala E Na Paniolo!