Personal Transition Plan

Ricky Ching, Reporter

Personal Transition Plan or PTP for short, wasn’t always an online course.  In the previous years students where divided up by grade levels and were assigned to different teachers.  Since PTP is neither a regular class or elective it isn’t on the student’s daily class agenda.  Students would only attend PTP once every first Friday of the month.  Teachers would assign students a binder that will be carried out throughout their high school career.  Each binder consisted of important paper work that needed to be filled out and completed before the end of the school year.  Then the advisory teacher will evaluate the students binder and will sign the binder only if the student has achieved the requirements.

PTP has been around since my freshmen year back in 2010.  During my Freshmen, Sophomore, and Junior years, PTP consisted of only binders, and extraordinary amount of required paper work that needed to be completed and signed off by previous advisory teachers in order to earn that .5 credit to graduate.  This 2013-2014 school year has changed enormously.  The administration and the BOE has both agreed that PTP will be a required course to graduate and will be completed in an online tutorial program known as  “myfuturehawaii.org”.

Students, especially the senior class of 2014 have no other option but to complete PTP through “myfuturehawaii.org”. My future Hawaii is the newly modified version of PTP in which students are given a checklist that will also be their step-by-step guideline, which shall help them achieve the BOE requirements, and earn that crucial half credit.

Although PTP is only a half a credit,  it can and will determine whether or not seniors are eligible to walk the line with their class.  Some seniors look at PTP as an extra mentor, that will help them figure out what their skills and abilities are, what job occupations or colleges interest them the most, and what they truly value in life.  But other students have their own different view points on PTP.  For example, some students view PTP as a complete waste of time and it shouldn’t effect whether seniors are eligible to graduate.  The students that view PTP as a complete waste of time are the students that are not planning on going straight in to college right after high school. Some may be joining the Armed Forces,  they’re not ready to go back to school yet, or they just want to find a job to support themselves.

Whether seniors are planning on going to college after high school, or joining the Armed Forces, PTP is a way to stay organized, and a phenomenal program which will help you determine how your skills and abilities can help you pursue a career that interests you the most and that you find passionate.  PTP can be both a hassle and a mentor, depending on how determined and willing you are in trying to figure out what you are capable of doing and what you want to pursue later on in your future.