2014 BIIF Title Opportunities

Kassie Kometani, Editor

It has been a total of six years since Kohala won its last BIIF title. In the spring of 2008, Kohala’s star basketball team won a 61-25 victory over Pahoa for the BIIF  Division II championship. The powerhouse team was also runner up  for the State Championship Division II Title that same season. Since then, Kohala teams and individuals have come close to a BIIF title but never close enough.

There are high hopes for Kohala High’s boys basketball team this year. They have been keeping up a strong season with a record of 5-2. Despite losses against Waiakea and HPA, the Cowboys are gunning for a BIIF title and a spot in the HHSAA state tournament. Girl’s basketball has also been having a great season and they are heading to playoffs this Friday. Their first game is against Kea’au and the Cowgirls are hoping to push ahead as far as they can. They made it to states last year and they are playing their hearts out to make it again.

Another BIIF title opportunity lies within Kohala’s swim team. They are heading to the BIIF prelims this Friday with finals to follow on Saturday. All swimmers are expected to swim in finals, whether it would be for individual events or relays. With a team that nearly doubled in size this year, the swimmers are hoping to score some major points in the BIIF championship. Junior Kassie Kometani was runner up in an individual event last year and is hoping to win it all this weekend.  Sophomore Yuki Zbytovksy also made the podium last season and is racing for a better spot this year.

There is a lot of potential for Kohala High School athletics. Perhaps this is the year where the six year streak of no BIIF titles will finally be broken.

E Ala E Na Paniolo!