New Art Mural

New Art Mural

Alexis Ella Matundan, Reporter

Have you seen the mural yet? It’s pretty eye catching.

Kohala High School has a new mural on campus! It’s on the electric building between the main hallway and the gym. Who ever thought such a beautiful painting could be plastered on that wall? It was our very own Vice Principal’s idea, Mr. Brian Simon, to have something there. I asked him,”Don’t you want to paint it too?” He replied “I want the kids to paint so that they get a part of it to0, you know.”

January 18, 2014 was a very busy day. That morning several artists (Patrick Ching, Tommy, Alexis Matundan, Riley Uehara, Ramon Cubangbang, Robert Victorino, Janette Snelling, Brian Simon, Ms. Margarette Hoy  and Ms. Fern White) came to paint the mural. The layout and sketching started at 9am and was finished by 9:43am. Then the painting began. Robert was the first to paint and he was assigned to paint the sky blue. Everyone followed with painting any part of the mural. Later around 12pm that day boys that played soccer were strolling in because they had a game. They were asked to lend a hand and paint so that they could “make their mark.”

Ching was asked what had made him think of the components drawn for the mural. Ching said,”These are things that remind me of this place, you know the valleys.”

The mural showcases the beautiful scenery of Kohala, as well as an image of King Kamehameha I. It is a nice touch to brighten the walls at Kohala High.