Girls Basketball Went to States!

Ashly Kaholoaʻa

Girls Varsity Basketball traveled to “states” on Oʻahu

Mohala Kaholoa'a-Kumukoa, Reporter

Kohala played against HPA during playoffs to determine if they would go states or not, depending on the win or loss. Kohala High’s girls basketball team placed third, which qualified them for states. The Cowgirls made it to states last year as well, so this would be their second year going. The Hawaiʻi High School Athletic Association (HHSAA) State Championship was held on Oʻahu. Three teams representing the Big Island Interscholastic Federation traveled to states, Honokaʻa, Kamehameha, and Kohala for Division II.

The Cowgirls traveled to Oʻahu on February 4, 2014 through the 9th and stayed at the Luana Waikiki hotel. They played at Kalani High School on February 5, 2014 at 5:00 p.m. against Castle High school. During the second half the Cowgirls were winning by 8 points but afterwards fell behind in the fourth quarter and lost the game. On February 6, 2014, the girls were given a second chance to place 7th but sadly didn’t make it. The Cowgirls were proud to represent Kohala High school at states as one of the Big Island teams.

The championship game for Division II was held on Saturday, February 8. The top two Big Island teams, Honokaʻa and Kamehameha, fought for the Division II title and Honokaʻa won.