Cowboys Basketball Represents Kohala!

Cowboys Basketball Represents Kohala!

Kihei Kapeliela

Kohala Cowboys Division II Champions!

Isabel Steinhoff, Reporter

This year Kohala High’s boys basketball team brought their best and represented Kohala to their fullest potential! The Cowboys’ record this year was 10-3 with losses against Hawaiʻi Preparatory Academy, Waiakea, and Kamehameha Schools Hawaiʻi. Although they lost those games, they pulled through throughout the rest of the season and came out ranking #2 in the Division II playoffs on February 15-16, 2014. The first day of playoffs, the Cowboys won against Pahoa (56-32), taking them to Saturday the 16th, for the Big Island Interscholastic Federation (BIIF) finals to play against Hawaiʻi Preparatory Academy, who won against Honokaʻa (70-63).

Making it to the finals has been the Cowboys goal ever since the last time Kohala won BIIFs back in 2009. Every year the boys strive for that BIIF title once again. This year was their chance to bring it back. On February 16th at the Afook-Chinen Civic Auditorium, the Cowboys were ready to fight, with the Kohala fans cheering them on in the stands. The boys brought their game and pushed to the end. It was the game of the year! Kohala upset the defending BIIF champions and previously undefeated Hawaiʻi Preparatory Academy, 67-53, bringing happy tears and smiles to all the Cowboys, their families, and their faithful fans. Kohala finally got the banner back they have been waiting for!

Because the Cowboys are the Division II champions, they are automatically qualified to go to Hawaiʻi High School Athletic Association Division II Basketball State Championships on Oʻahu on February 20-22, 2014. The quarterfinal game was on Thursday, the 20th, was against Kauaʻi at Kalani High School. With the fight still in them, they won 71-56, advancing them to the semifinals. Kohala played against Kalani for the semifinals on Friday, the 21st. Cowboy pride was still strong even on Oʻahu bringing in the fans from Kohala that lived there. But with all the support for the Cowboys, Kalani pulled through with home court advantage and their fight to win as well. The boys kept the fight close and played their best until the end. The final score was 56-70.

On Saturday, February 22nd, the Cowboys played a consolation game at the Neal Blaisdell Arena against Seabury Hall for third place. Kohala had a hard time trying to make a comeback. The boys tried to play with a new game face after the loss the previous day, but fell through coming in 4th in the state with a final score of 45-57.

Congratulations to the Cowboys and to the coaches for an amazing season! Kohala is proud of you no matter what and can’t wait till next season!

E Ala E Nā Paniolo!