Spring Fest 2014

Isabel Steinhoff, Reporter

On March 8th, 2014, Kohala Elementary, Middle, High and the 21st Century program had their annual Spring Fest. The public was invited and welcomed. The Spring Fest is an event where the students from each school get to showcase the clubs, groups, and programs that they’re part of, which were funded by or helped funded by the 21st Century Grant.

This event isn’t just limited to that, there’s so much more! The Spring Fest also included student performances, inflatable water slides and bouncy castle, a dunking booth, robots made by the robotics team, lucky number drawings, temporary tattoos, food booths, and even a kendama booth! In addition to the activities, there were informational booths available to the parents and community members to let them know what resources the community has to offer, like the Hawaii Community Federal Credit Union, Kohala FM Project, Achieve 3000, ʻIole, and the Police Department. There were 70 door prizes and majority of them were generously donated from Kohala’s very own businesses.

From the community, Ryukukoku Matsuri Daiko (RMD) of Kohala (Kohala’s Taiko Club), Aunty Kaui Nakamura’s Hula Hālau Kalaniumi Aliloa, and Kohala Elementary’s garden instructor, Jane Lee, were amongst the performers. The student performances included Kohala High’s Glee Club and 21st Century’s drama kids. Kohala Middle School’s students demonstrated Makahiki games. Kohala Elementary’s principal Danny Garcia, was the only principal brave enough to sit in the dunking booth.

This year the Spring Fest added on a special treat for the students intrigued with the popular toy, a kendama competition! The competition was judged on who could do the best tricks. There were two categories, one for elementary students and one for everyone. Keoni Barco from Kohala Elementary and Elijah Antonio from Kohala Middle were the winners and each won a brand new kendama!

Even though it was overcast the whole day, many families, friends and community members came out to enjoy the festivities!