25 Years Down for KHS Tennis Coach

Kassie Kometani, Editor

One would think Herman Fernandez practically lives at the tennis courts. He is there seven days a week and, on some occasions, twice a day. Fernandez has dedicated his life to teaching the youth of Kohala a lifelong skill: how to play tennis. Every summer he holds a tennis program free of charge to any interested kids. Fernandez even provides a racquet for those who are unable to afford one. Dozens of kids attend these summer tennis programs and they have been for over 20 years now.

Fernandez started coaching tennis at Kohala High School in the year 1989. This year marks his 25th year as head coach of the team. Many of the kids he coaches today went through his summer programs when they were younger.

“I’ve been coaching for so long and I still remember my players when they were small. I’ve got a lot of memories of them when they were young and now they are playing high school tennis for me,” Fernandez reflects.

All the dedication Fernandez put into teaching those kids tennis is now coming full circle. In recent years, he has also started coaching the children of his former players. Now that’s a sign you’ve been coaching for a while! Another accomplishment Fernandez holds is having at least one of his tennis players be valedictorian of their graduating class at for least 20 of his 25 years as coach.

“It’s a good feeling,” Fernandez states.

Congratulations to Fernandez for 25 years of great coaching! This year’s 2014 high school tennis team is looking good and has already competed against Parker and HPA. They face off against Konawaena this Saturday. Good luck Cowgirls and Cowboys!