Kohala Students are World Travelers!

Taking a “selfie” with their tour guide!

Genevieve Boyle, Reporter

The Kohala Learning Abroad club recently took 17 Kohala students and three chaperones to Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England. The KLA group took off to the British Isles on March 16 but unfortunately, there were complications from the start. The plane scheduled to take KLA students to LAX  that night had mechanical problems. The students traveled for a total of 63 hours before arriving in Ireland. Unfortunately, they arrived a day late and missed the first day of their tour.

Right after they got off the plane they started their tour at Bunratty Castle and the Folk Village. On the second day of their tour the students toured the famous Blarney Castle where they all got to kiss the Blarney stone! They also went to another castle, the Rock of Cashel. They then traveled on to Dublin, Ireland for the rest of the day.

The next day the KLA group had a very packed day! First, they took a bus tour of Dublin where they made stops at St. Patrick’s Cathedral, the Cross (where 1.3 million people came when the Pope visited it), and Trinity College where they looked at the Book of Kells. After the bus tour they visited the National Museum of Archaeology where they saw bog bodies. Later on after lunch the students walked through St. Stephen’s Green and went shopping at Grafton and Kings Street. After their shopping spree, the students walked to Belvedeve Hotel where they had dinner and enjoyed classic Irish folk dancing to end their last night in Ireland.

Early in the morning, the KLA group packed their bags and jumped on a ferry to travel to Wales. After arriving in Wales they traveled to Beaumaris Castle. They explored the castle then walked into town to relax and have lunch. On their drive to their hotel after lunch, it started snowing and hailing! Many of the students got off the bus to experience the snow and hail for the first time.

The following day the group traveled to Scotland making stops along the way. They visited Wordsworth’s House and Garden then walked the Coffin Trail to Grasmere town where they ate lunch. They spent the rest of their day travleing to Edinburgh, Scotland where they spent the night. The next day they took a bus tour of Edinburgh and visited the Holyrood Palace. Later that night the students and chaperons took a night train to London!

After everyone exited the train the next morning, they got on a bus and took a guided tour of London. After the tour they visited St. Paul’s Cathedral and the bridge from Harry Potter. After checking in to their hotel and having dinner, the KLA group walked to Westminster Abby, saw Big Ben, and went on the London Eye that night.

The next day was a “free day” in London for the group. They attended the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace in the morning. After lunch the students split into groups and went shopping and explored around Oxford Circus. They all met up in the late afternoon to head to a classic fish and chips dinner. After dinner, they ended their night at Apollo Victoria Theater where they watched the famous musical performance Wicked.

On the following day everyone hopped on a bus once again and traveled to Oxford. They toured Oxford University and enjoyed their lunch at the Oxford Covered Market. Afterwards, they traveled to the Bath region where they explored the Roman Baths and got to drink water from the Baths. The next day, the KLA group visited the Glastonbury Abbey Ruins, Wells Cathedral, Vicards Close (the oldest street in Europe), Cheddar Gorge where  wild goats roamed on the beautiful cliffs, and the Avebury Stone Circles.

On their last day in the British Isles, the KLA group got to see the glorious Stonehenge. They then traveled to Salisbury where they visited Salisbury Cathedral. For the rest of their day, they traveled to a hotel near the airport in Heathrow. They had to take the insanely crowded tube (train) and well-known red double-decker bus for dinner in London.

The next morning the KLA group jumped on a plane with all their belongings, said good bye to the British Isles, and headed home! Luckily, there were no complications on the way home. All the students and chaperons got home safely and on time!

The exciting, memorable, and fun filled days in the British Isles was all over. It was an experience of a lifetime for all of the students and it was sure to bring out the travel bug in each and every one of them!