Independence for Scotland?

Kassie Kometani, Editor

Scotland has been a part of the United Kingdom since the year 1707. More than 300 years later, a Scottish independence referendum is scheduled to take place on September 18, 2014. The referendum follows a Scottish Independence Referendum Bill that was put forth on March 21 of last year. The question posed is whether or not Scotland should be an independent country. Despite wide support, there are many issues and concerns over potential Scottish independence. One is whether or not Scotland will be able to continue financially and economically without support from the United Kingdom. Many other issues will have to addressed as well, such as if Scotland will continue with the pound currency that is supplied by the U.K.

Kohala Learning Abroad students were recently in Scotland and had an opportunity to talk to a few locals. When asked about their opinion of Scottish independence, one Scotland native stated “My heart wants independence but my head knows it is not the best thing for Scotland.” This statement holds true for many Scottish people as they know Scotland may not survive without being joined in the United Kingdom. Rigorous campaigns for and against independence has been all Scotland can think about.

With less than six months left, all of United Kingdom will be anxiously awaiting results from the September 18 vote.