National Credit Union Youth Week

National Credit Union Youth Week

Kassie Kometani, Editor

Credit unions celebrate youth during the month of April. For our Hawaii Community Federal Credit Unions here on the island, the youth week will be held from April 14 to April 25. National Credit Union Youth Week is held to encourage kids to open savings accounts and learn how to manage their money. This year’s national theme is “Catch the Save Wave”. As a promotion, students at Kohala High School are encouraged to refer a new youth member. If they do so and a new account is open, both will earn $5 to be deposited into their accounts. All the new members need to do is a fill out a referral card and bring it in when they open their account.

Another event scheduled is the Piggy Bank Decorating Contest. All the youth of Kohala is invited to decorate a container of their choice any way they desire. There are five categories to enter in: Toddler/Preschool, Elementary, Middle School, High School, and Overall. Voting for the best piggy bank will be done by Kohala’s FCU members from April 21 through April 25. Many piggy banks have already been turned in and there will be some stiff competition!

Kohala Student Credit Union is also getting involved with National Credit Union Youth Week. They will be holding a membership drive during school from April 21 through April 25. This is a perfect time to recruit new members and encourage them to open accounts. The membership will be held outside of Mr. Peterson’s room during lunch recess. All students need to sign up is $5, their social security number, and an I.D.

So, “Catch the Save Wave” this April and sign up for an account!