Tennis BIIF Championships Results

Kassie Kometani, Editor

The conditions were perfect for the final round of the 2014 BIIF Tennis Championships held yesterday at the Holua Resort tennis courts. The sun was shining, there was a slight breeze, and players from around the island were ready to make their final showing. The morning started off with the semifinal round to determine who would play in finals. Kohala’s Jamesen Keyes and Gabrielle Bartolome both faced tough opponents. Doubles team Kassie Kometani and Isabel Steinhoff also played that morning in a consolation match to try and secure a spot at the 2014 HHSAA state tournament in May.

Keyes faced Waiakea’s Samuel Masuura and lost, placing him in a battle for third place later in the afternoon. Keyes also lost his second match and finished in fourth place overall. This Kohala freshman had outstanding performances during BIIF’s and there are high hopes for him for the rest of his high school career. Bartolome played Kealakehe’s Michelle Uyeda in the semis but lost 1-6, 0-6. Uyeda later went on to win the BIIF girls single’s title that afternoon. Gunning for third, Bartolome defeated HPA’s Kenzie Langmade in her second match that day and earned the bronze medal.

Kometani and Steinhoff were out of the semifinals and instead competed for a top seven spot in girls doubles. The Big Island can only send seven pairs of girls to the state tournament. This consolation round first pitted the Kohala duo against a doubles team from Kamehameha. It was a tough match and both teams fought hard. Kamehameha’s Anyssa Iwamoto and Sarah Kim came out on top with a close win in a third set super tie breaker. This left Kometani and Steinhoff to fight for seventh against Kealakehe’s Tegan Travelino and Michelle Reed. Kometani and Steinhoff were in the exact same position they were in last year and unfortunately did not make the top seven. Same went for this year when they were defeated 2-6, 4-6 by Kealakehe, leaving them no opportunity at the state tournament. Despite these losses Kometani and Steinhoff were the only unseeded team to make it to quarterfinals on Friday, a huge accomplishment in and of itself.

Hilo’s sister duo of Kelly Soares and Emily Soares defeated Kealakehe’s Mai Kobayashi and April Wong that afternoon for the BIIF title in girls doubles. Konawaena’s Finn Gallagher and Anakele Apisaloma also came out on top with a win against HPA’s Brendan Moynahan and Alec Jones for the boy’s doubles title. HPA’s J.J. Minakata defeated Samuel Masuura for the boys singles title.