Cowgirls Tennis Gets One More Chance At States

Isabel Steinhoff, Reporter

This past Saturday, April 19, was the Big Island Interscholatic Federation tennis championship tournament.  The girls doubles duo, Kassie Kometani and Isabel Steinhoff, played two consolation matches in order to qualify for states. Unfortunately, the duo fell short and received 8th place in the tournament. The Big Island only takes the top seven doubles teams to states.

On April 21, 2014, the girls received a message from their coaches, Jessica Brown and Hermann Fernandez, that they were getting yet another chance to make it to states! They found out from Coach Hermann that to make it fair for every island to be represented at states, each island gets a certain amount of teams/players they get to take. The number depends on how many of their schools have a tennis team. Their coach was notified Monday morning that Maui was only taking five out of the six spots they could take to states, which left an open spot to be filled. Because the girls came in 8th place for BIIFs, they get to compete for that last spot.  The girls are scheduled to play against ILH’s (Interscholastic League of Honolulu) 8th place finisher ʻIolani to fight for that last spot.  Kometani and Steinhoff will fly to Oʻahu along with coach Hermann Fernandez on April 23, 2014 to play at Punahou Campus at 4:30.

Goodluck to the doubles duo and goodluck to their teammates representing Kohala at  tennis states next week!