Kohala Teacher Runs Boston Marathon

Kassie Kometani, Editor

The 40K Boston Marathon is no new ordeal to Melody Nietfeld of Kohala High School. She has represented Hawaii numerous times in this race, which attracts competitors from all over the world. Ms. Nietfeld finished her race with an official time of 4:15:31. Throughout the course she maintained an average pace of 0:09:45. This year Ms. Nietfeld competed in the women’s 55-59 age group and finished 298 in that division. She finished in 8,619th place compared to all other females and 21,064 overall. This is an impressive feat for Ms. Nietfeld, especially considering her Achilles heel injury that she suffered from not long ago. Congratulations to Ms. Nietfeld for a fantastic showing at the 2014 Boston Marathon and representing Kohala High School well!

This year’s race marked significant hallmarks for Americans. It has now been a year since the tragic bombing of the 2013 Boston Marathon where three people were killed and over 260 more were injured. Fortunately for our own Ms. Nietfeld, she was not present at the 2013 race due to testing being done at Kohala High School. Security was extra tight this year and the bombings were not far from people’s minds. This year’s race motto was “Take back that finish line!” and the resilience of the American people was proved by just that.

In brighter news, this year’s was winner was the first American man to win the Boston Marathon since 1983. Meb Keflezighi, age 38, won the men’s division with an impressive time of 2:08:37. That’s in about half the time that Ms. Nietfeld finished! His triumph has become a national symbol that exemplifies how Americans have not let the tragedy of last year weigh them down.