Kohala High School Earns Bronze Medal Recognition

Kassie Kometani, Editor

Every year, U.S. News ranks more than 31,000 schools from all 5o states. The most notable schools are awarded a gold, silver, or bronze medal based on their performance on state assessments along with how well they prepare students for college. To be eligible for a state ranking, schools must receive a national gold or silver medal. In our state of Hawaii there are 49 public schools. In the 2014 U.S. News Best High Schools, four silver medals and eight bronze medals were awarded to Hawaii schools for a grand total of 12 recognized schools. The four schools that received silver medals along with a state ranking were Kalani High School as #1, President William McKinley High School as #2, King Kekaulike High School as #3, and Wailua High and Intermediate School as #4.

For the second year in a row, our very own Kohala High School was awarded a bronze medal by U.S. News. Our math proficiency and reading proficiency from our Hawaii State Assessment met the criteria for a bronze medal, along with having a college readiness index of 9.8. Only three other schools from the Big Island received bronze medals and they were Kealakehe High School, Kea’au High School, and Pohoa High and Intermediate School.

This is a significant accomplishment for Kohala High School and the repeat of the bronze medal shows that Kohala is taking the right steps to prepare students. The students and staff here should be proud to be part of one of only twelve schools from Hawaii that were awarded medals by U.S. News.