2014 Tennis State Championships

The Kohala tennis team poses for a picture at the Wailea Tennis Courts.

Kassie Kometani, Editor

This year marked an important hallmark for the Kohala High School tennis team as they sent six players to the 2014 HHSAA Tennis State Championships. This was the most that had ever represented Kohala at the tournament,  a fact the made Coach Hermann Fernandez very proud. The tournament was held in beautiful Maui with matches going on at the Wailea Tennis Courts and the Makena Tennis Courts. In the first round, the boys doubles team of Sklyer Marcom and Michael Bartolome played the number three seeded team from Punahou. It was a tough draw and unfortunately the Kohala boys were out of the tournament after losing 0-6, 0-6. The girls doubles duo of Kassie Kometani and Isabel Steinhoff also faced the number three seed in the first round. The team from Kamehameha Maui eliminated the Kohala girls when they lost to them 0-6, 1-6. Kohala singles players Gabrielle Bartolome and Jamesen Keyes did not face a seeded opponent in the first round. Bartolome faced a player from Punahou and was beat 0-6, 2-6 in the first round. Keyes was the only player from Kohala who won his first round match, defeating a boy from Pearl City 6-0, 6-0. In the second round, called the round of 16, Keyes went up against the number three seed from Mililani. He was a tough opponent and unfortunately Keyes was also out of the tournament after losing 0-6, 1-6.

Everyone was done after the first day of matches so the team was able to relax and enjoy a small vacation on Maui. They explored around Kihei as well as going to the beach. Despite losing, the team was able to make the best out of their trip.

The final matches of the tournament were held on Saturday. The Kohala team was able to watch the intense face-offs with the top players in the state. Kawika Lam of Punahou defeated Jeffrey Liang of Hawaii Baptist 6-7 (6), 6-0, 6-2 for his second state championship title in boys singles. Taylor Lau of Saint Francis defeated the three-time girls singles state champion Alyssa Tobita of Mililani 6-1, 6-3 for her first title. Boys doubles team Zander Kim and Jon Costales of Punahou defeated Seann Esaki and Braxton Chong of Mid Pacific Institute 6-1, 6-0 for their first state title as well. Girls doubles also had a new champion when Skyla Alcon and Cori Cummings of Mid Pacific Institute defeated Sari Kwee and Kara Okasaki of Iolani.

Congratulations to all the winners as well as the Kohala tennis players for a great showing at states!

The Kohala tennis team poses for a picture in front of the Wailea tennis court sign.