Kohala Student Credit Union Recruit Upcoming Freshmen

Alexis Ella Matundan, Reporter

The Board and Student Tellers of Kohala Student Credit Union took a trip to Kohala Middle School on May 21, 2014. They spoke to upcoming freshmen about what the credit union is, does, and has done.

The Kohala SCU has monthly meetings that are usually held at the beginning of the month on a Monday during lunch recess in the computer room. President Kassie Kometani calls them “formal meetings.” Lunch is also provided.

This past 2013-2014 year the SCU has been invited to the “HCFCU Kick Off The Year” party and the Annual Luncheon. The Kick Off party was held at the Sheraton with a theme of “Las Vegas”. The Annual Luncheon was held at Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel. All costs were paid for by HCFCU. So if you like free hotel food as well as an occasional free lunch, you should consider being a part of the Student Credit Union.

The HCFCU Student Credit Union seeks to offer community service. They have helped with the gardening with the Kohala Elementary 1st graders, sung Christmas songs for the elderly at the Kohala Hospital, and collected canned goods for the Sacred Heart Food Pantry.

If you’re interested in creating an account, the Board will be at the high school registration outside of the library on the left. All you will need to sign up is your social security number, $5, and a current ID. When you reach the age of 16 you may apply for a debit card which will require you to open a checking account aside from your savings.