Farewell to Kohala’s Class of 2014

Kassie Kometani, Editor

It was a beautiful day for Kohala’s commencement ceremony on May 24, 2014. Family, friends, and the community packed into Hisaoka Gym to watch the Class of 2014 become official alumni of Kohala High School. This year’s graduation brought some new changes, such as all the graduates wore white caps and gowns instead of the usual black and gold. It was a fitting change as their class colors are black and white. Also, all four of the honor guards were girls when usually there are two boys and two girls.

The ceremony went off without a hitch and everyone enjoyed the speeches given by the valedictorians. This year there were three: Koa Bartsch, Carley Arruajo, and Eloisa Obero. The seniors had asked Mr. Chertavian to be their guest speaker at graduation and he was able to fly back from the mainland in time to give a motivating speech to the graduates. His speech was filled with great words of advice and left a meaningful impression on the graduates. The class also presented their class gift which was a clock to be placed in Kohala High’s library. Their class song was “Lean On Me”, and many commented that it was one of the best class songs they had ever heard. This year’s Merit Shield winner was Koa Bartsch, a recognition he was pleasantly surprised to receive.

After diplomas were received and tassels were switched over, graduates exited the gym for congratulations and lei giving. It was a moving ceremony and a perfect farewell to Kohala’s seniors. Congratulations Class of 2014!