Varsity Basketball Boys make Kohala proud

Kailena Kaaekuahiwi, Reporter

Congrats to the Kohala High School varsity basketball boys for having another great season. Winning all 12 games during regular season, getting second place for BIIFs, and third for states, you guys sure know how to make not only the school, but the community, proud. The team that consisted of five seniors, two juniors, three sophomores, and a freshman. They managed to play their hearts out on the courts. Teamwork is what got them to winning the games and being a family on and off the court. Each teammate always had possession of the ball; there’s never a person on the court that doesn’t get the ball.

BIIF was an important title to the basketball boys and the whole Kohala town. They wanted to take not only BIIF title, but states title all in one year. This year the varsity basketball boys played Honokaa High School for semifinals of the BIIF tournament that was held at the Hilo Civic Auditorium on Friday, February 20. Winning the Dragons 88-71 got them qualified to play for the title on Saturday, February 21 against the Pahoa Daggers. Unfortunately a loss to the Daggers 75-62 the next day put them in second place in the BIIF tournament. They played their hearts out in Hilo and showed all of us all what they are capable of doing. Four days later, they were off to Oahu for states.

February 25, the 12 varsity boys and the four coaches flew up to Oahu to play in the 2015 New City Nissan Boys Basketball Championships. First game for the Kohala Cowboys was held on February 26 at Kalani High School against Seabury Hall Spartans. Winning  Seabury Hall 76-51, placed them in the semifinals the next day against Kaiser. This was an important game. Why you may ask? Well because it was one step closer to the championship game at the Stan Sheriff Center. That was the game that determined who would win the title and become champion for Division 2. Kaiser was the team to beat and I am proud of the boys for not giving up no matter what the score was. The Cowboys played a really good game, but sadly, missing the three pointer at the buzzer ended the game for the night. The final score was 50-47.

That didn’t end the run for them, though. They still had the chance to play for third place against Hawaii Baptist. Playing this team would determine who got third and fourth place. This game was held on Saturday February 28 at the Stan Sheriff Center on Oahu. This was the same day as the Championship Game to see who got first and second place. Winning this game with the final score of 69-48, got our Cowboys third place in the 2015 New City Nissan Boys Basketball Championship. Great way to end the seasons Cowboys!

The 2014-2015 basketball team consisted of seniors Kealen Figueroa, Justin Agbayani, Shawn Ramos, Hana Caravalho, and Mikala Jordan; juniors Kainalu Emeliano-Solomon and Chance Pang; sophomores Cole Fuertes, Kahua Kualii, and Kamaalea Emeliano-Solomon; and freshman Maui Hook. Head coach Don Fernendez and the three assistant coaches  James Marquez, Kihei Kapeliela, and Kona Fernandez round out the Cowboys team.