Kohala High School gets a new mural

Kohala High students posed with the artists of the Not Even Once Mural Project at the mural's dedication on March 6. The NEOMP works in conjunction with the Hawaii Meth Project to encourage everyone to live drug free lives. This was their 10th mural in Hawaii.

Nicole Castillo, Reporter

Over the past years Kohala High School has been getting new murals put up around the school and this March Kohala High welcomes a new mural through the Hawaii Meth Project. The Mural consists of a beautiful background of marine animals and the words NOT EVEN ONCE in the middle of the mural. Not Even Once is a phrase of the Hawaii Meth Project.

Crystal Methamphetamine or Crystal Meth for short is a highly addictive drug stimulant that people take by snorting, smoking or injecting it with a needle. Methamphetamine is a dangerous and potent chemical that can destroy the body causing serious health conditions including memory loss, aggression, psychotic behavior and potential heart and brain damage.

The Not Even Once Mural Project or NEOMP has now been their 10th anti-meth mural made statewide over the last 12 months.  The artists were East3- Ken Nishimura, Tkay2- Trysen Kaneshige, and Atres- Aranzazu Ascunce.

The school unveiled the new mural on March 6, 2015 and not only did the students see the unveiling of the beautiful mural but they also got to hear a story told by Derwin Nunes, a man who was once a meth user but fought his way out to being drug free. His story of the struggle that he went through to become drug free touched many hearts of Kohala High students.

Kohala High School students would like to thank the artists that have dedicated their time to make this mural and everyone else who made this mural possible.