Kohala takes 2nd in BIIF’s

Kiera Javillonar, Reporter

On May 1, 2015 the Cowgirls and Warriors traveled to the Old Airport park in Kona to play the BIIF championship opener game. The girls did the best that they could. Offensively, the girls got a slow start. At the end they started to hit off Kamehameha’s pitcher, Mykala Tokunaga, but it wasn’t soon enough. On defense the girls were able to hold them down. A few errors were made that could have been prevented, but overall, they played a great game. Kiana Alejandro-Cazimero, a junior, started the game off pitching but was relieved by Ashlyn Van Zandt, a senior, who finished the game. The cowgirls managed to score one run in the top of the seventh inning. The game ended 7-1, Kamehameha.

On May 2, 2015 the two teams came back to  the field to play each other for the second game of the championship. It was a scorching hot day but the girls had to deal with it. Symphony Kauanoe, a freshman, pitched the whole game and did a terrific job. They had a hard time hitting of Tokunaga. Their defense was a little weaker than it was the day before, but they knew how important that game was. All they needed to do was play to full potential to keep up with the Warriors. It just wasn’t their day.  The game ended 11-1, Kamehameha.

The Cowgirls are keeping their heads high because it was a privilege for them to play in the championship game for a chance to take the BIIF title. They will be flying to Oahu on May 11, 2015 to participate in the HHSAA tournament along with the two other DII teams, Honokaa and Kamehameha. Best of luck Cowgirls!