Life Hacks For The Aspiring College Student

Zoe Lawrence, Reporter

Most of us are already aware of the usefulness of life hacks such as immersing your wet phone or electronics in a bowl of rice overnight to repair water damage. Maybe some of us even follow life hack blogs and forums online. For the Kohala Cowboys and Cowgirls about to venture off into their independent lives as college freshmen, I’ve taken it upon myself to create a list of especially helpful life hacks meant to assist our graduates in their new lives.

-Sleepless nights becoming an issue? Try using the 4-7-8 method. Breath in through your nose for 4 seconds, hold the breath for 7 seconds, and exhale slowly for 8 seconds. Repeat until you become drowsy and fall asleep.
-Storage space running out? Try folding your shirts, unmentionables, and other smaller and space consuming clothing articles into squares and storing them vertically in drawers instead of horizontally.
-Pest problems in the dormitories or apartments? Use a soft white light bulb (2700 K). They emit less blue light and attract fewer bugs. Tea tree oil can also help fight an ant infestation, simply drop the infested area with 2-3 drops of tea tree essential oil.
-Sticker glue stuck on items or textbooks? Germ-X or olive oil removes the sticky stuff from almost any surfaces. Just remember to rub gently so as to not cause further damage.
-If the semester is over and you have a TON of old textbooks lying around that you no longer need, you can easily sell them for some extra pocket cash. Hop on to the Apple or Android app store and download the BookScouter app. Then, scan the barcode on the back of the book to see how much back cash you could get.
-Heavens forbid you run out of black ink with no money or time to run out and buy more, highlight the text you’ve typed and change the font color to the darkest shade of blue available. It will be nearly identical.

Best wishes and vibes to those heading off to university this coming autumn!