Suicide Prevention Day; Sept. 10, 2015

Miranda Canniff, Reporter

Suicide Prevention Day on September 10th at Kohala High School is a STUCO hosted school-wide event designed to raise awareness towards suicide and to show respect towards sufferers of suicide connected mental illnesses and to remember those who have lost their lives or loved ones to suicide.

Students are encouraged to wear yellow on Thursday, September 10th, 2015 in honor of World Suicide Prevention Day. A noontime activity will also be hosted in front of Mr. Peterson’s room during lunch recess.

Thoughts of suicide, along with a range of mental health issues that are in association with suicide, is something that plagues the minds of countless high school students and young adults throughout the secondary school system.

Suicide is a widespread and important issue throughout the education system and the world alike  For many students, the stress involved with academic, athletic, extracurricular, and social interactions and activities combined with trying personal lives evoke a multitude of mental health issues. These issues, in many cases, eventually lead to an individual feeling the need or wanting to kill themselves.

World Suicide Prevention Day, according www.timeanddate.com, is a United Nations observed world-wide holiday, designed to raise awareness and show support for those who suffer from thoughts of or the committing of suicide.

###