Kohala High students explain the importance of having talent shows

Back to Article
Back to Article

Deja Ann Ramos prepares for the K-Factor Talent Show.

Daryl Diaz

Daryl Diaz

Daryl Diaz

Daryl Diaz, Staff

Kohala High School will be presenting a talent show early November, especially after the success of last year’s show. Last year, Kohala High’s talent showcase for the community was titled “Kohala’s Got Talent.” The showcase consisted of singing, dancing, comedian acts, and stand up comedy. There were no prizes or winners in the previous talent show.  It was all in the fun of performing. This year’s talent show will have awards for first, second, and third place, along with an audience choice award.

Jasmine Santana, sophomore, performed in last year’s show and will be performing in this year’s talent show. “I thought last year’s talent show was fun!  I have performed many times before, but it was the first time in front of my community, which made it scary.” She believes it is important to have events like talent shows because it gives students a chance to show their talents aside from academics or athletics.

Deja Ramos, junior, also feels having talent shows are important. “People hide their talents and sometimes lose it when they don’t show.  It’s good to let it out.”  She also performed in last year’s show and will be singing this year.

Students who are in the audience also believe it is very important. An anonymous student says, “It’s a great opportunity to learn talents about your peers that you might have not known and for any student to get a chance to be involved and show what they got.”

Both, Santana and Ramos, are very excited for the upcoming talent show, the K-FACTOR, it will be a contest with prizes and winners. Ramos says, “I’m excited about it being a competition. Last year it was just about fun, this year its about fun and good rivalry, though the main aspect is to have fun and bring students together through our talents.”

This year’s talent show will be on Thursday, November 10, 2011 in Kohala High’s Cafeteria.

Daryl Diaz, Reporter

Daryl is a Graduate of Kohala High. He enjoys musical theater and tennis. In his first year of reporting, Daryl made a great impact on the team and was...