Cowboys Football; The Season So Far

C. Pasco

Head Coach Reggie Tolentino talks to the team during a time-out.

Miranda Canniff, Reporter

The Kohala Cowboys 8-man Football Team has a current overall record of 0 losses and 2 wins in the official 2015 season. Upcoming games and the details of previous games are as follows.

On Saturday, August 22nd, the Cowboys traveled to Molokai for a preseason game. Although they lost 14 to 46, the boys say that going to Molokai as a team was a good experience for them to bond as teammates and friends. The loss does not count towards their season record.

On Saturday, August 29th, the football boys played against Ka’u on home turf and won. The final score for this game was 28-6, and the Cowboys bagged a win for their first game of the official season.

On September 5th, the football team was supposed to travel to Pahoa to play the Daggers for the first time this season. However, the game was cancelled due to the fact that majority of Kohala’s team was down with strep throat and the flu. The Cowboys will have to wait until the 29th to see whether or not they’ll match up against Pahoa’s 8-Man team.

On September 19th, the Cowboys traveled to Pahala Ball Park in Ka’u to play against the Trojans for a second time. At the end of the first half, the score was already 9-0. By the end of the game, the Cowboys smashed the Trojans for a second time with a final score of 30-8.

All of the upcoming games will be played against either Pahoa or Ka’u, at 2:00 on Saturday afternoons.

On Saturday September 26th the football team will travel to Pahoa to play against them for the second time this season.

Kohala’s next home game will be on Saturday October 10th vs. Ka’u at 2:00 PM on the back field. This will be the third time that the Cowboys will play against Ka’u.

Saturday October 17th vs. Pahoa will serve as a Homecoming Game. Because this game is a part of Homecoming, it will be a home game. This will be the third and possibly last time that the Kohala football team will play against the Pahoa Daggers.

If they’re needed, 8-man Championships will be held on Saturday October 31st, 2015.

Unlike traditional high school football, Kohala does not have enough players for a full team. This means that the football boys play 8-man football instead. Because not many schools play 8-man, the Cowboys play against only Pahoa, Ka’u and Molokai.