Homecoming Spirit Week

Back to Article
Back to Article

Homecoming Spirit Week

Sophomore Girls' Powderpuff participants Zaz Matsu, Nicole Castillo, Cheyenne Fuertes, and Symphony Kauanoe after the Sophomores vs. Seniors flag football match

M. Bartolome

M. Bartolome

M. Bartolome

Miranda Canniff, Reporter

Spirit Weeks are exciting opportunities for students to show their spirit by dressing up and participating in appointed activities. This year’s Homecoming Spirit Week was held from October 12-16, 2015.

Monday was School Spirit Day, where students dressed up in black and gold to show their Kohala High pride. During lunch recess, the Sophomore and Senior girls battled it out in the first Powderpuff flag football game of the week. Sadly, the Sophomores were disqualified due to the fact that not enough players had their contracts signed. The Seniors emerged with their first win.

Monday’s noontime game was a Cowboy Relay Race, and students from every grade level participated by roping chairs, throwing hats, and pinning tails.

On Tuesday, participants dressed up for Sports Day, wearing uniforms to represent their favorite sport or sports team. Tuesday’s noontime activity was a sports relay race.

Wednesday was Teacher Institute Day, so students got a day off of school, and no Spirit Week events took place.

On Thursday, Spirit Week got wacky with Topsy-Turvy Thursday. Students dressed in inside out and upside down clothes. As a noontime game, students dressed their advisors in a fashion show to see who could dress their teachers with the most creativity.

Friday was the last day of Homecoming Spirit Week, and students were asked to wear their class colors. The Freshmen wore red and black, the Sophomores wore maroon and white, the Juniors wore white and orange, and the Seniors wore teal and silver.

A Homecoming Assembly was held during Resource period, and included spirit yells and energizers, as well as a performance by the boys of every grade level in the Powderpuff competition. The Homecoming banners were also judged and a winner was announced.

The Homecoming Parade and Dance were on Saturday, October 17th, and the Homecoming football game was played against Pahoa.  

Miranda Canniff, Reporter

Hi! My name is Miranda and I'm a Senior–this is my third year working on Ka Leo Na 'Opio and the morning bulletin. I'm also a Student Council (STUCO)...