Tennis Travels to St. Joseph’s; February 24th

Ikela+Ledward+plays+against+St.++Joseph+third+string+boys+doubles+alongside+William+Touchet.+

Ikela Ledward plays against St. Joseph third string boys doubles alongside William Touchet.

Miranda Canniff, Reporter

The spring sports season is finally starting for many Kohala High School athletes. This includes the KHS boys and girls tennis teams. On Wednesday, February 24th, 2016, the team travelled to the east side of the island to play against Saint Joseph’s in Hilo.

Coaches Hermann Fernandez co-coaches with Kohala High School teacher Miss Jessica Brown. Together, they teach both the boys and the girls in the respective categories of “experienced” and “inexperienced”.  Coach Hermann travelled with them to Lincoln Park, and assisted players during their matches with words of encouragement and helpful pointers.

MirandThe Cowgirls and Cowboys of Kohala’s tennis team won a majority of their matches and with a combined effort brought home the win against St. Jospeh’s.

First girls singles player Gabrielle Bartolome, first and second boys singles players Jamesen Keyes and Isaiah Moreno, and first boys doubles team Chance Souze and Michael Bartolome won their matches with no contest. They all won both sets 6-0 6-0.

First girls doubles Zaylee Apostadiro and Noami Ney unluckily lost their match with a total score of 1-6 3-6.

Second string boys doubles Mycah Gonsalves and Bradlee Estabilio won their match with set scores 6-2 6-2.

Similarly, second girls doubles Tanya Adams and Miranda Canniff won their match 6-2 6-1.

Third girls doubles Bayleigh Weirnicki and Teshna Hart won their match 6-0 6-1.

Zoe Rudd, second string girls singles, also won her match with a total set score of 6-3 6-2.

Tennis newbies Ikela Ledward and William Touchet played third string boys doubles for Kohala High. They began their first season of tennis with considerable amount of excitement, winning their first set 6-3 and losing their second 3-6, going into a super tie-breaker. Thankfully, they won the tie-breaker, and secured the win for the KHS Boys Tennis team.

Sadly, a few members of the Kohala tennis team were not able to make it, mostly due to the scarcity of players on the St. Joe’s team. These players included Gabriella Boyle, Agnes Capote, Dahlton Franco, and Jaycie Lewis.

The entirety of the Cowboys and Cowgirls tennis team will travel to Kealakehe on March 2nd to play against the Waveriders.