Kohala Emerges Victorious In Round 1 of Volleyball Playoffs

Sean Giron

Kamaalea Emeliano-Solomon goes up for a kill in the win against Christian Liberty. Photo courtesy of JSean Giron.

Kaid Nickl, Reporter

The first hurdle in the Cowboys volleyball playoffs career has been cleared.

On April 26th, the Kohala Cowboys Volleyball team defeated Christian Liberty Academy in a clean 3 set sweep. This victory propels Kohala past round 1 and into round 2, which will be against Pahoa, but hosted in Kealakehe gym (Game set to start at 4).

Kohala had an impressive showing against CLA. Although the first set started with a rocky 1-3 score in CLAʻs favor, the Cowboys quickly retaliated with a flurry of rapid-fire spikes and meteorite-like serves. While the opposition put up a stiff fight, the ball was kept alive thanks to excellent libero player Cole Fuertes and setters Alika Viernes and Mark Macaspac. Points were added up at a frantic pace, courtesy of Kahua Kuali’is monstrous spikes.

The Cowboys quickly settled into a rhythm, even as new players were swapped in. Although many points were lost on netballs and service errors, cheerful words from teammates pulled the scores right back.

Round 2 of playoffs will be the division semifinals. Kohala will square off against Pahoa at 4. Please take note that the game will be played at Kealakehe high school gym. Winning this game will advance the Cowboys to contest the position for division champions (DII finals).

Good luck Cowboys!