Transgender Bathroom law – hurt or help?

Donna Botelho, Reporter

Obama has ordered all public schools in the US to allow transgender students to use the bathroom of their choice. He continued by saying, “They are vulnerable, and I think it’s part of our obligation as a society to make sure everybody is treated fairly, and our kids are all loved and protected, and that their dignity is affirmed.” By invoking this law on discrimination called Title IX they could lose federal education funding. But will this new law help or hurt the ever-growing confident LGBT community?

Lets take a roll back. LGBT people have already been bullied a lot in the past, and according to a statistic took in 2012 by the National School Climate survey conducted by GLSEN, 82% of LGBT youth had problems during the previous year because of bullying dealing with their sexual orientation. Additionally, 64% felt unsafe and 32% didn’t do to school for at least one day because of feeling unsafe.

They also reported that 44% experienced physical harassment and 22% had stronger violence. They also experience more cyber-bullying than others. LGBT youth think three more times about suicide, have more problems and are more likely to be homeless. Forty-two percent live in a hostile environment were they are not accepted.

Why bring this up? The same-sex marriage act on June 26th last year has already racked up bullying, so what will this do?

Transgender students could get attacked in the bathroom and not tell anyone because of fear. I, myself am very thankful for the freedom of expression; don’t mistake me. However other kids at school may not be. This may cause a lot more backlash if a student goes into a bathroom they identify with and be harassed by other kids and because of their identify.

Lots of people weren’t happy with the same-sex marriage act. Will this drive some people to worse measures? Post your opinion in the comments below.

Sources:

LGBT Bullying Statistics

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/05/16/transgender-bathroom-rule-matter-dignity-obama-says/84460430/

###