Leo Club hosts community wide Food Drive

Howard Hashimoto

Andrew Trump, Assistant Editor

The Kohala High School Leo Club is participating in the Hawaii Island Food Fight sponsored by Nativefm.com. The Food Fight is a competition between schools across the Big Island. The first community drive was held on Sunday, October 25 at Takata Store. Leos also distributed “Food Boxes” to Nakahara store, Arakaki store, and the library.  The club’s goal is to raise 2,000 pounds of food for families in West Hawaii. A tentative calendar of activities for November and December has been posted at various community centers in Kohala.

The Leo Club is a service organization for Kohala High students in association with the Kohala Lions Club.  The club has the largest membership of any at Kohala High, and on Oct. 23rd about 30 students decorated food boxes in addition to making signs for advertisement. Senior member Jenna Nickl said, “It was a successful first activity. Leo club has helped me get to know some underclassmen better and feel like I’m giving back to the community.” Students are excited to get the food drive running and get as many pounds of goods as possible.

Organizations, businesses, or clubs interested in sponsoring a food drive to support this effort please call Leo Club advisors: John Kometani, Beldon Kealoha, or Howard Hashimoto at 889-7117. The club is also sponsoring a silent auction on Friday November 25(day after Thanksgiving) at the Kohala High School Christmas Craft Fair.

E’ala e na Kohala! Let us show how much we care!